HOW TO: Push Button Start

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by lil_dq, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lil_dq

lil_dq Full Access Member

ATTENTION!!!!

DOING THIS MODIFICATION WILL REMOVE ALL ANTI-THEFT FEATURES OFF OF YOUR TRUCK AND IN DOING THIS MODIFICATION THIS WEBSITE AND OWNERS OF SAID WEBISTE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE THEFT OF YOUR VEHICLE!!!!

OK now that all the legal stuff is out of the way...
    There are a few things that will have to be done to it to be able to do this mod.

1. Your PATS system will have to be turned off!
    2. There will be NO key used AFTER this mod. (If you would like to still use a key, this is NOT the mod you are looking for)
    3. Your truck will be able to start at the push of a button, that means that anyone who can push a button can drive your truck. Keep that in mind if you are parking it anywhere you don't feel safe doing so.

This wiring diagram will be your bible for this project!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. lil_dq

Steps...

1. Remove the two dash pieces to expose the column and under the steering wheel.

2. Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the ignition switch together. It will be in the middle of this gray cover.

[​IMG]

3. Unplug the ignition plug. At this point there is two different routes you can go. You need to decide if this is going to be a permanent deal or if you ever want the option to put it back to stock. If you want to return to stock eventually then you can either plug into the spade terminals that are listed above to make the connections OR jump wires off before it comes into the switch to keep the ignition switch plugged in. I am hard wiring this in so I will be deleting the ignition switch all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Now it is time to move up to the column cover. For this you will need to remove the four phillips head screws that hold it on and drop the bottom off, then pull the top up and slide off the shifter knob.

5. To do a true keyless push button start you will need to remove the tumbler and key out of the column. To do this insert your key in the ignition and turn to run. Then with a small phillips screw driver or a punch of some sort push the button in the hole on the under side of the tumbler...

[​IMG]

6. Pull the key out while still in run and the tumbler will come with it. It comes out fairly easy so if it is not coming out easy then you don't have the button pushed in enough. This is what it will look like out of the column...

[​IMG]

This is what it will look like inside the column. At this point you have fixed the steering lock and shifter lock. You will have full control of the funtions of the column and wheel...

[​IMG]

7. I am otping to smooth over where the key hole was in the cover so there will be some body work to make this happen. Hope to have some progress pics as I go along. Here it is smoothed out and modified, ready for glass work and finishing...

[​IMG]

3. lil_dq

Steering column cover glassed and painted... I used a wrinkle finish paint to "match" the finish on the cover. Paint the wrinkle finish and while still fairly wet, paint a coat of paint on it as well...

[​IMG]

8. Remove the ignition switch and pull apart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I decided to Hardwire and reuse the igition switch to keep things clean. Here is what it looks like all soldered up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Finished wiring behind the scenes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Time to reinstall everything...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Video.....

[​IMG]

4. lil_dq

You will see where I hid the start button in the vid...

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

5. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

Well if I ever lose my keys I know what i'm going to be doing lol..

6. General Lee

General Lee Rammer Jammer

this would be a cool mod to do but not comfortable with the fact that anybody would be able to start my truck. I like the camo cover on your remote entry.. now that I look at it though it doesn't look like a cover, where did you get it if you don't mind my asking?

7. HammerDown

HammerDown Pin It To Win It

thats a sweet mod and a good write up! thanks for sharing man, may think about it in the future :hmm:

8. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

thats BA! I think what might be cool is to move the ignition switch to a place on a console with 2 buckets like in modern BMWs and mercs, then you dont have to reach around the steering wheel just put the key in, flip a switch and push a button. my buddy has his set up so you can put the key on and turn the ignition and everything will turn on but you cant start it, you gotta flip a switch to start it. that way if anyone tries to jack it theyll hot wire it....and it wont work.

9. lil_dq

Buddy of mine got it for me when I said I liked his. I'll ask him and see what he says. I'll let ya know.

10. lil_dq

The other way you could do it was to leave the key in and just put an auxillary push button, but I thought that kinda killed the whole idea. If you had to have the key in, then my thought would be, just use the damned key! LOL

I have full coverage and with the button in the power outlet and closed, I don't think anybody could find it unless they looked REAL hard. I always close the door to the outlet when I get out too to help deter. Another way would be to put a shut off to your starter somewhere remote so if you are leaving it for a long time you could kill the power elsewhere as well and even if they hot wired it they still couldn't start it.