How-To: Replace Front Hubs, Rotors, and Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by MyFX4Project, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Finally got around to the other side, so here's the How-To..

1) Jack the front of the truck up and remove the wheel.

[​IMG]

2) Remove the caliper by removing the 2 bolts holding it in (13mm), and set it on the upper control arm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3) Remove the caliper bracket by removing the two bolts holding it in place
    [​IMG]
    At this point the caliper assembly should be apart and brake pads should be off and thrown away (if needed)

4) Take off the dust cap and bobby pin thingy first and then, remove the axle nut with a 36mm socket. This can be rented at any auto parts store. I had to use a cheater bar and another bar to hold the hub in place to keep it from spinning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5) Next step is to remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on (19mm). These are pretty snug so i had to use a cheater bar on them.

[​IMG]
    Should look like this when removed (Hopefully a little cleaner than mine) I removed the hub and rotor together.
    [​IMG]

I cleaned all the surfaces with brake parts cleaner and wiped off everything. I also used a wired brush too clean the mounting surface of where the hub goes on.

New Hub from 1AAuto.

[​IMG]

2. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

6) Install the hub
    [​IMG]

7) Next i compressed the pistons in the caliper with some C-clamps i had laying around. Ideally you want to use 1 big C-clamp and use the old pad on top of the pistons as you compress the them equally but i did not have one large enough.

[​IMG]

8) Install the rotor, caliper bracket, brake pads, caliper, and reconnect the new ABS wire into the engine bay.
    [​IMG]
    Finished product
    [​IMG]

This was a very simple install. I did both sides and the only trouble i had at first was finding a way to hold the hub still lol

3. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

I just did this on a 01 nissan pathfinder tuesday. he had manual locking hubs...there were soooo many bolts and screws holding his caliper it makes taking mine off look like drinkin beer.

good job though, very good write up

4. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

nice write up.

5. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Gotta love those foreign trucks...:poker:

Thanks guys, never made one before.