how to wire offroad lights into high beam

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by J.Wal, Jun 1, 2011.

1. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

ok, I am not a wiring guru like some of yall on here and need to know how to wire in my 55w hid off road lights into my highbeams. any help would be great!

2. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

ok you want them to come on with the high beams correct?

3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

get a relay, any autoshop or stero shop will have them. There will be 4 prongs, hot, ground, lights, and one for turning them on. Tap into the outside(?) wire on your headlights for your highbeams. One outside is ground, and I think the middle is low beams. use a voltmeter to double check.

4. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

If you want to wire a switch in the cab some relays come with 5 wires/prongs. Or you can run it like this. Hot wire battery ---> switch, switch---> hot wires on lights, bypassing the relay. I did this with my procomps, so they come on with my Highs or with the switch

[​IMG]

5. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

I like that they would come on with the high beams or the switch. That would be awesome. The guy at shop said if I hooked it into my high beams it might burn out my main light switch. I think that is some bs, so I was hoping someone would tell me how to tell them how to do it. Lol

J.Wal

6. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

hey cowboy, so you would run 2 wires off of the tad for the switch and to the hi-beam wire? you just need to wire them both together on one right? I think i may do something like this with my hellas so when i turn on my brights all 8 come on so i can flash people if they cut me off, but still be able to turn one set at a time...

7. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

8. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Off the what? I think I know what you're getting at though.

First: The proper way to do this, so that there is no risk of burning up stock wires, is like the diagram I posted. You use 14ga or bigger wire, a relay, and an inline fuse at the battery.

I'll draw something up if it'll help, but basically if you have the 4 prong relay they will always come on with the high beams. In order to add a switch you need to have a hot from the battery to the switch, then from the switch to the hot wire on the lights, bypassing the relay. That's how I have my Procomps hooked up. My KCs use a 5 prong relay, but its the same setup.

Options for my lights are, fogs only, Low Beams only, KCs only, Procomps only. But, High Beams = High Beams (HIDs) + Fogs (bambi) + KCs, + Procomps :peace:

I wanted to be able to turn my offroad lights on at any time because I never wanted to be in a situation where I needed them, and not have option.

9. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

could you draw a really big picture? that would work a lot better. thats how i want mine...thanks buddy!

10. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Haha yeah. Give me a second to whip out my paints (MS :jester:)