how to wire offroad lights into high beam

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by J.Wal, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

When I worked at the chassis upfitter we had to follow DOT Regs and twice annual inspections from Ford, Mopar and GM on our wiring methods.
    That's the reason for the high beam interruption relay.

2. pfbz

pfbz Junior Member

Aux lights switched with high beams will be the primary on-road mode (as required by DOT), but for off-road, I think the fogs, low beams and aux lights all at once might provide better light spread...

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Given the legality off "off road" lights are just that for off road use only, now DOT approved lights are legal for use on road. Our company got by this legal jargon by labeling the lights "driving lights".
    Of course aftermarket lighting companies want to use the smallest gauge wire possible for cost savings.
    AWG Wire size amp capabilities from http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm:
    22 gauge - 7 amps
    20 gauge - 11 amps
    18 gauge - 16 amps
    16 gauge - 22 amps
    14 gauge - 32 amps
    12 gauge - 41 amps
    10 gauge - 55 amps
    8 gauge - 73 amps
    6 gauge - 101 amps
    4 gauge - 135 amps
    2 gauge - 181 amps
    0 gauge - 245 amps
    00 gauge - 283 amps
    000 gauge - 328 amps
    0000 gauge - 380 amps

Granted you can't run 20 feet of 20 gauge wire to carry the amp load of 2 sets of off road lights, it is always better to use heavier gauge wire than the minimum specs, I have seen that light duty wire can melt off it's insulation from getting too hot trying to carry high amp loads on customers vehicles brought in for problems.

4. Old_Skl_Raptr

Old_Skl_Raptr GrandsonOfTheConfederacy

i wired my lights into the high beam fuse in the cab fuse box.

also if u ever lose the directions to a relay, a little trick i taught myself. hold it with the center tab and top tab paprallel like an equals sign, then from left, bottom, right it goes like this. the top and center are lights, left is switch, bottom is energy (battery) and right is ground

5. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I'm going to rewire mine to add a high beam interupter switch which will give me high beams with headlights only. Otherwise I like my setup, on with aux switch or on with high beams. I also need to wire in one of those little fuse boxes lol

6. Roush PSD Interceptor

If you don't have a fused power circuit, How to make a simple ATC fuse holder:
    Cut the fog light's battery power supply wire into not more than 8 inches from the positive battery terminal or the location you are picking up 12 volt battery power.
    Strip the two cut wire's ends less than 7/32" to expose the copper and twist the loose ends. Using a terminal crimp tool attach a female terminal to each of the two wire ends.
    If you are using larger than 14 gauge wire you may need yellow female connectors.
    [​IMG]

You may have to close the terminal contact gaps so it with firmly hold the ATC fuse.

[​IMG]

Put some dielectric grease into the terminals when the fuse will be inserted. Insert the ATC fuse into the female terminal connectors, a cheap and fast fuse holder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

oh, I got fuses on everything, I just don't like all the wires coming off my battery :jester:
    I'm gonna get one of these
    [​IMG]

8. Old_Skl_Raptr

Old_Skl_Raptr GrandsonOfTheConfederacy

i like the fuse blocks too. when i get more lights im gonna redo all mine into one. you can get snap on ATC fuse holders as well. KC sent me one with my lights. all u do is cut the power supply line and the fuse thing has slots on each side. you slide the wires in both sides and snap it down and put a fuse in. you dont even have to strip the wires. its really nifty and i wish i had a whole bag of em

9. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

This is a useful idea.

for sure dude. i have one of these in my cab. its got room for 6 aux. accessories. i need to put one in my engine bay. im thinking i may do this next week sometime lol thanks for reminding me. I have all my relays nicely mounted on my firewall but then you see my battery and i have all these damn wires tapped in with one two of those battery cable taps. they work great but i hate wires all over the damn place.