Is this plug-and-play do-able?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by shortride, May 20, 2011.

1. shortride

shortride Member

One thing I hate to do and will not do is splice wires. There are so many plug and play setups I was wondering if anyone has added a small amp and or sub-woofer without splicing any wire in a 2009-2011 XLT. That includes speaker wires.

I'm not changing the factory head unit. I only want a little more bass.

2. J.Wal

J.Wal Full Access Member

You will half to have a remote wire to turn on the amp, and you will also half to do a converter to RCAs to go to the amp. It is really simple, and a local shop won't charge that much for a simple install like that if you think it is too much.

I don't think there is a plug and play, atleast I having heard of one.

J.Wal

3. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

The local shop here charges around 90 bucks to install the stuff to do it. That includes them running the amp wires. I know a chick that had a Mountaineer that had it done. She ran 2 Kicker 12's and a 1200w Fosgate amp hooked to the factory stereo. It knocked too :peace:

4. UtahFord

UtahFord FFS best looking guy

No plug and play but you can make it work easy

5. timithy.forman

timithy.forman Junior Member

I just installed my converter kit yesterday, i just went to bestbuy, got the harness, found out which wires were rear speakers, spliced the converter into the factory harness. Ran the gauge wire through the firewall, and down the side. box should be in tuesday, but that will be an easy thing.

6. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

pics

7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You could always get the factory system, its plug and play with a 10" sub

Sent from my Igloo

8. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

Those factory subs are weak in my opinion. Sure they add a little depth to the sound, but they're no comparison to having a nice high powered amp and a killer sub. :peace:

9. blackknight87

blackknight87 Junior Member

I used the metra BT-5520 harness to get speaker outputs from my stock headunit, to my amp. didnt have to cut any factory wires. just the harness. its really easy.

Basically what you do is cut the harness and then your speaker outputs go to your amp, and if you want to run speaker wire thru the factory wires you can run cables back to the head unit and connect back in to the other side of the harness. making a loop.

But for me, i ran all my own speaker wire, so all i had to do was get my outputs from the head unit to the amp. and then i taped off the other side of the harness cuz its not used.

heres my thread about a 2011 system install, i did a video write up. I used fuse #38 as a remote wire, using a jumper fuse.
    http://www.f150forum.com/f30/sound-system-install-2011-fx4-video-96835/

and here are two other threads for a 2010
    http://www.f150forum.com/f30/diy-video-2010-f150-amplifier-install-part-one-82376/

http://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-speaker-upgrade-using-factory-head-unit.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011