Meguiars DA Polisher

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Pity7700, Apr 1, 2012.

1. DestinationFX4

DestinationFX4 Admanistrator

Cool, thanks man. I might look into picking one of these up this summer

Sent from Sandals

2. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

Gotta agree with predatory. a DA polisher can really **** up your paint if you dont know what youre doing. an orbital buffer is very easy to use but doesnt spin as fast. ive always been told that a polisher with higher RPMs is ideal for removing swirls and other defects however, you can also cause swirl marks much easier with it by using it wrong. the DA polisher i bought has 6 speed settings on it.

i personally think a DA polisher gives you way better results. ive used my orbital buffer for years and got great results but this polisher is awesome, even though ive only used it twice so far. it got rid of scuffs and defects on the paint from over spray and other contaminants wayyy easier and quicker than the orbital buffer. i cant wait to put it to the test on my dads white excursion. he works at a ford plant and parks near the paint shop so his truck has tons of over spray on it. i have used the orbital buffer many times, clay barred it and waxed it by hand and still had a had time getting that stuff off. i would be willing to bet this polisher will get the job done. i will post back on that when i do it. cant wait to see what this thing does with swirl mark removal too.

bottom line, an obital buffer is great and very easy to use and you cant screw anything up. a DA polisher spins at a much higher rate of speed, which causes more heat, making it easier to get rid of defects and youll get awesome results but its much much easier to screw the paint up.

3. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

this polisher also vibrates back and forth as it spins around the shaft

4. str8t six

str8t six never enough

A random orbital and a DA polisher are the same thing!!!!!
    DA stands for Dual-Action

You guys are talking about a buffer that will burn your paint!

5. Predatory Instincts

Predatory Instincts Bizkit Grabber

My bad.

I see DA and my brain automatically engages to DA as in "Disk Abrasive" for body work as it has been called ever since they came out. Pretty much identical device to a buffer, different use. :suicide: I thought a buffer was what he was talking about.

Evidently DA now also means random orbital when talking about polishers. Why, I have no idea. :jester:

6. str8t six

str8t six never enough

It has to do with the design of the polisher. The shaft from the motor spins in a circular motion but the pad is allowed to move independently from it. Which is why it's called a dual action.

7. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

now i know what DA stands for but when i think orbital buffer i think of this: orbital buffer - Bing Images i always thought an orbital buffer had only one speed as the DA polisher has more RPMs and a variable speed.

8. Predatory Instincts

Predatory Instincts Bizkit Grabber

Oh, I know that. It's the same thing as a random orbital polisher.

I was questioning why they suddenly started calling them DA's instead of random orbitals when that abbreviation has meant "disk abrasive" since the beginning of time.

I'm old and not hip to you youngster's lingo.. :jester:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

shoot ive never heard that term before...i always thought DA meant Dual Action lol

10. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

by the way, this polisher and im sure the one you have josh can still eff up your cars paint if you have teh setting too high and concentrate on one spot. they create a ton of heat.