My Dad Needs Help With His 2004 Lariat 5.4

Discussion in '11th Generation F Series : 2004 - 2008' started by Darth Bama, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

My old man is having some issues with his 2004 Lariat 5.4. He's throwing codes, but I can't figure em out, and to be honest, I haven't had the time to help him.

He's getting the P0506, and P2106. I told him to clean the throttle body, and replace the air filter. He's got 190K miles on it is all I know, and he recently had the fuel pump replaced.

Anyone have ideas? If not he's ready to roll it off a cliff... :jester:

2. Eric of Memphis

Eric of Memphis Full Access Member

as long as you take a vid..... i vote cliff

just kidding

i need more info to help does it die when he comes to a stop etc... all info possible please make sure he checks the air filter and all the tubes for it the common between the two is that :hmm:

3. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

He didn't mention it stalling, but I'll ask him and see what he says. :waytogo:

4. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

P2106 has to do with the electronic throttle body blah blah blah. i get it every now an then if i give it too much gas while turning from a stop. idk how to fix it i just delete the code on the programmer lol

5. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

:popcorn:

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Has he had the plugs done?

7. Meatwagon

Meatwagon Junior Member

I had a similar issue in my '05 FX4. Would happen when the weather here in Chicago hit around 20* and below. Ended up being the carbon buildup in the throttle body was causing the butterfly to stick. Being Fly-by-wire, the electronics told the truck to shut off. Kinda freaky when you're going 50 MPH around a turn and the power steering dies.

Took some TB cleaner and shined that baby up. Now, it's part of my "winterizing" maintenance along w/ cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter.

You might also want to look at the fuel injector TSB - I recall they extended that to 120K.

Good luck and post back!

8. Tradesman

Tradesman Full Access Member

There is a write up on how to properly clean the 5.4 3V Triton throttle body, just be sure not to go crazy with the spray. Also watch you don't spray anything on the MAF.

Regarding injectors, I haven't heard any problems on this forum but on another forum I used to visit there were a few members who ended up having to replace their entire motors because the injectors leaked, leading to hydrolocking and blowing up the motor. At first when I heard it I thought it was too far fetched but apparently it did happen more than once.