My truck's engine died...

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by frank5079, Mar 9, 2017.

1. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

Hi, my name is Frank and I am new to this forum. I did a search first and didn't find any previous threads on this swap. Anyway, I have '94 XLT longbed with a 300 six and 5 speed which died last summer. Excess blowby caused the PCV to pop out and a small crack in my exhaust manifold sparked a small fire and partially burned part of the fuel rail and engine wiring harness. Needless to say I have my excuse to do an engine swap. I've gotten 351, along with underhood harness, radiator, engine mount perches, Y-pipe, from a '95 F250 and will mate it to my Mazda 5 speed. I also got a reman ECU, a new flywheel and clutch kit as well. I know I've read that I should use a ZF gearbox, but I'm a pretty conservative driver and don't plan to hammer the go pedal of this truck once I get her up and running. Can you guys give me any advice as to what else I might possibly need??

TIA

Frank

2. thesman727

thesman727 Full Access Member

You can beef up the Mazda trans, but a ZF5 (or maybe a 6, if you wanna do that) would be a much better idea. The Mazda unit was never intended for that much torque

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  3. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

Months before my truck's engine died, I had changed the fluid in the Mazda gearbox and it wasn't discolored nor did I find anything metallic in the old fluid. I even added a quart of Lucas automatic transmission additive which made shifting gears even smoother.

So here's my question...I just want to get my truck running again and I've heard horror stories of how the Mazda gearbox will grenade behind the 351 because of the huge torque difference and that I'd be better off finding a ZF 5 speed. Now I'm a very conservative driver and I don't plan on doing any hard launches from a dead stop or even pull a fifth wheel trailer. If I do pull anything, it might be my little 4x6 trailer with my 2000 Vmax. So what do you guys think?

4. dchawk81

dchawk81 Full Access Member

I'd use the tranny I had while staying prepared to upgrade. Whether that means buying one and having it on standby or just having the cash in reserve is up to you.

Might as well at least get some use out of what you already have. Who knows, it might last you forever.

5. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

Do you know if there are any other 5 speed gearboxes other than the Mazda with overdrive? I know that the ZFs are supposed to be beefy, but essentially they are just 4 speeds with an ultra low 1st gear...and they are pretty pricey if you can find a decent one...

6. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

On a different note, the 351 is stock but the y-pipe I've got has an A/F sensor at the junction in between the two pipes right before they join into the rear flange. I had planned to hook up the air injection tube but there is no where to hook it up to on the y-pipe...

7. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Weld in a bung where you need it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  9. frank5079

frank5079 Junior Member

Hard to believe it's been over a year!! This swap has taken waaaay too long and I just have not been able to devote my full attention to complete it sooner. Anyway, before dropping the engine in place, I replaced the front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, and water pump. I've also put in new plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor. I also had to replace the top a/c hose, because the one for the six was too short. Anyway, with all that done, she fired up and is ALIVE!!!! Now, all that's left to do to finish the swap is reinstalling the core support, radiator, and the front end parts....

10. 4ctNduction

4ctNduction Truck of the Century

its good that youre doing it all before it goes in. might as well get it all done now. smart move