Oil cooler rebuild/fuel bowl deal kit

Discussion in 'F-250 and F-350 General Tech and Info' started by Bdons-SD, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

So my dad just took his 02 7.3 to have the oil cooler rebuilt since it was leaking, shop said it was his fuel bowl leaking. It was dripping out of the valley and onto the oil cooler and taking any old gunked up oil with it turning it black, looked like oil, makes sense. Turns out the oil cooler was leaking as well. The shop donated the labor for the fuel bowl rebuild but charged for parts since it's not what we dropped it off to be fixed.

My question is, does it require 2 seal kits to rebuild a fuel bowl? And are the motorcraft kits actually $75 a piece? Does anyone have motorcraft part numbers for the fuel bowl reseal and the oil cooler kits? I'm having a tough time finding them.

He walked out of there paying a little over $900 for an oil cooler rebuild and fuel bowl reseal. I can't find motorcraft seal kits anywhere to compare prices, but even if they're double the price of shmoreillys, the riffraff kits, or guzzles dieselorings.com, the parts breakdown on the receipt is still more by quite a bit. I understand it requires an oil change, and antifreeze change, but the cost of this shop visit when all was said and done shocked me.

The high labor cost is (over $300 without the fuel bowl labor) is justified, we dropped it off on Thursday and it was ready by Saturday, quick work on a downed work truck is worth a higher labor cost. I'm just surprised at the material costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Can't find anything Motorcraft on the
    interweb for fuel bowl reseal kit.
    Only takes one seal kit.

Just helped my neighbor reseal
    his couple months ago, he bought
    RiffRaff kit.

Only reason I can think it would need
    two kits is they lost some of those
    tiny seals during assemby or
    damaged them installing them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. Bdons-SD

Thanks joe. Could you think of any possible reason he would tell us it needed 2 seal kits? Everything I'm seeing is only showing 1 kit needed. We've used this same shop for years for truck and trailer repairs and they've always been fair, labor costs are a little high, but like I said, you gotta pay for the quick turn around. the last time my dad went in he charged him $400 for an alternator and install. I can't help but think he's starting to over charge a bit. Maybe I'm just ignorant to the cost of repair shops since I've been doing all of my own repairs.

4. Roush PSD Interceptor

I edited my post within a minute of posting a reason why two kits may have been used.

@Bdons-SD

5. Roush PSD Interceptor

Here's another thought.
    People sometimes work on
    commission, so makes
    sense to the person on
    commission to find a
    reason for the bill to be
    higher?

6. Bdons-SD

He's the owner of the shop so I guess technically he's on commission ha ha. Thanks for the info joe. He called a ford dealer and they quoted $45 for the seal kit. The invoice on labor and materials done is very vague and doesn't list part numbers, so I can't even say for sure what all was done .It sounds shifty to me, but my dad values the warranty and quick turn around so if he's not going to ask about it, it's out of my hands ha ha.

7. Roush PSD Interceptor

Still would bother me too if it
    were my dad and you know
    it isnt right.