pacesetter exhaust leak

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 2wd supercrew mudder, Sep 22, 2013.

1. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

I have the 4.6, Pacesetter shorties. No problems. Locking head bolts, and the thick OEM gaskets.

What was the cause for replacing the manifolds to begin with?

2. 2wd supercrew mudder

2wd supercrew mudder Full Access Member

well i had the tranny out and Ive wanted to do shorty for awhile. thought id pull the trigger. Ill try the soap and see what happens. how many studs you break i got away with 2. i wonder if im hearing a leak from the egr tube

3. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

I had the mechanic side of the shop my dad works at do the install. Iirc, they broke nearly every stud. Our winters here had the "bolts" to a point they were round globs of rust. Mine was replaced due to my EGR tube connecting spot on the manifold being broke, and unfixable due to the rust.

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Could be the tube. I would check that first.

sent from area 51

5. TLSF150

TLSF150 Full Access Member

You will need a small piece of 2" foam board, and an assortment of hole saws (not the spade bit kind).
    Now find out the tail pipe size and TB size. and get the matching holesaw bit.
    Note: the holesaw sizing is OD so you'll need to measure the ID of the bit.
    [​IMG]Do this for both tips and the throttle body. Get as close as you can. If the plug is to loose then snug it up with some duct tape or masking tape.
    I chose to make 1 for the TB because there's a chance both vlvs. on 1 cylinder might be open at the same time.
    [​IMG]Now find out what the OD is of your shop vac hose and put a hole in 1 of your tail pipe plugs.
    [​IMG]Now get your car on jack stands and insert all plugs including shop vac on BLOW.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now you can take your time and run your hand over the whole length of the exhaust. You'll be able to hear the air hissing out. Usually the leak can be fixed just by repositioning the clamp.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2!

6. 2wd supercrew mudder

2wd supercrew mudder Full Access Member

wow that's pretty cool