*PICS* New '12 FX4, 26s with 40 series tire 35 series? possible?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ChargerOnDavins, May 3, 2012.

1. ChargerOnDavins

ChargerOnDavins Junior Member

Hey guys,

Pics of 26's and 35 series+ tires?

I already know lots of you will think that's stupid. Not really concerned. I understand that trucks don't need 28's or 30s, I would never do that to a truck, it's rendered useless.

But 35 series and 40 series tires are fine. Our explorer has 24" tires and 295/35/24 tires and it does just fine I hit craters in earth and even take it off the beaten path. No troubles at all.

That being said, I am having a dilemma.

I really want 26" wheels and a 40 series tire. 315/40/26. I know that's a 36" tire almost. And I know that's tough to fit. Is it possible without serious mods on a 2012 FX4 4x4? If not, anyone have pics of 26's and good meat on a truck?

IMO 30 series is not good meat. Had 30 series on the explorer and bent 7 wheels in less than a year. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Will never. Rendered the truck worthless.

Anyway, have one of a kind halo and LED strips coming for the front, and hopefully an updated stereo as I am highly disappointed with the current sony system.

This is about my 20th Ford, and excuse my Dodge, I have pics of my current cars below (One a Dodge... no excuses I messed up) and my Ranger Tremor I just traded in today for the F150.

Here they are:

Current Lineup:
    [​IMG]
    Yup Dodge is for sale. PM me for info if interested.

Old Ranger below and Explorer we still own

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Wife and dogs in the old Ranger[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And now for the FX4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway theres a tour, help me out folks! :D

2. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

26's should fit with a little trimming on the inside of the fender wells. As long as your offset isn't anything ridiculous I would think you'd be fine. People roll 24's all day long on 11th & 12th gen F150's.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your rim choice.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

3. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

its gonna be tight with 36s, probably going to need s leveling kit or some trimming . if i were you the biggest id run on a truck would be a 22 maybbeee a 24. If you want to use that fx4 how it was meant to be used. I have 20s on 36s right now on my truck but i got a 6" lift but I also got a 10th gen so thats different. but the ride is way rough compared to my 35s on 16s.

welcome man, sweet rides. not diggin the dudge though

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Welcome

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

5. W.Hirsch

W.Hirsch Yippie-Ki-Yay....

Well Im sure it can be done. I would think that with a 2.5 leveling kit, some lift struts and a add a leaf, and some minor trimming you could clear it. But I would also look into a Camburg Upper A so it aint at such an extream angle.

6. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

I think that explorer looks awesome. Those headlights are pretty darn neat.

7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

You'd have to level the front and be careful going over speedbumps...

26s
    [​IMG]

24s
    [​IMG]

8. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

a level will be necessary and trimming will be a must with a ~36" tire. maybe even a body lift on top of that.

do you put halos in headlights? :hmm:

9. ChargerOnDavins

ChargerOnDavins Junior Member

I actually worked for flashtech on various forums, and Steve (the owner and I) are good friends. We are mocking up something nasty for the F150 as we speak!

Thanks guys for the responses.

How hard are the above mods, and expensive?

Maybe a 305/35/26 would suffice? About 34.41" I believe

They told me I was crazy for the 295/35/24" tires (32.13) tires on the Explorer at stock height... but no rub at all!

I want the same look.. maybe even more meat.

24's are tough to swing for me only because my sissy EXPLORER has 24's... I'd hate to have the same size LOL

Also explain leveling, cost, how, and what else I'd need?

I did a torsion twist on my old ranger to get the 32" tires to fit, but that was not really the same?

10. joh408

joh408 Full Access Member

First of all, welcome! Nice Fords!

Torsion twist on the ranger is basically the same as a leveling kit for for NBS (04-08) and NNBS (09+). With a leveling kit it raises your front end so no more rake.

There are a few ways to do it that are relatively simple:
    Get a leveling spacer and the install should go something like this: http://www.fordfullsize.com/forum/f75/how-install-hbs-2-5-level-7983/

Or you can do leveling strut/shocks like a Bilstein 5100 which are adjustable and replace your original shocks.

Spacer will cost less (anywhere from $70+) than leveling shocks ($200+). Whether that's worth it is up to you. Here's a good read but a little biased:
    http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

You should be able to do it by yourself or with a helping hand and all you would need after that would be an alignment

A 34" tire would be a lot easier to fit on just a level than a 36" tire and less rubbing I would think. Especially since the 36" tire is 12.5" wide and the 34" tire is 12" wide. You will have about 4.2" of sidewall vs 4.061" on the Explorer if talking about pure numbers