Positraction and Winter

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Justbrad, Jul 18, 2015.

1. str8t six

str8t six never enough

i have a Detroit locker on my truck. i lived in michigan where it was snowing 5 months of the year. having a locker on the truck isnt a big deal. you just have to be careful not to floor it or anything cuz it will break free really easy.

2. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

lol... chains. The point is this: a normal differential works great in all conditions. If I need the traction of two wheels... I have a lever to pull and engage it.

A limited slip/posi-traction is bad when one tire has traction and the other doesn't. You fishtail. And that really isn't good at highway speed. The way the auto transmission shifts could cause real problems in a hurry. Yup... that fact alone will make me switch it.

Posi is great for racing or mudding... I don't think it is -- and actually is dangerous -- on icy/snow packed roads.

And what really started my concerns... I distinctly remember my brother's 65 GTO was terrible up a slippery hill way back when.

3. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

If weather isnt favorable, and you are going highway speeds. You shouldnt be. You're worried over losing control at highway speeds. You just need to slow down. I'd rather have limited slip in snowy conditions, just learn to take your foot off the pedal.

4. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

My sd has limited slip, I def wouldn't want a standard open diff, like Justin said, if you're worried about losing it at highway speeds in those conditions, it's time to slow down. Even with my 4 wheel drive kicked on and a limited slip I still cruise at well below the posted speed. And in my area the highest posted freeway speed is 70, most of them are 60. It's just not worth it to me. Id rather have 4 wheels with traction than 3.

I can't remember if your truck is 4x4 or not but an ls on a 4x4 is a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Justbrad

lol... by my math I've been driving snowy roads for 2 decades longer than you've been alive. No offense intended. And yes, I am a prudent driver.

Sometimes you have to drive in nasty conditions. And I am fairly certain a limited slip/posi-traction rear end offers no advantage and induces hazards to winter driving.

6. Justbrad

Am I confused here? Is limited slip really the same as post-traction? Is it a common thing to have? And is it quite safe on snowy/icy roads?

It is distinctly possible I am mistaken :)

7. Justbrad

Okay... I found this:

Positractions & Limited Slips:
    Transmits equal torque to both wheels when driving straight ahead. However when one wheel spins due to loss of traction, a patch of ice, mud, too much throttle, etc., the unit automatically provides more torque to the wheel that has traction. Recommended for daily driving, works well in ice, rain, mud and snow. However, in situations where absolute lockup is needed, a limited slip is not the best choice due to the fact that limited slips do slip in some situations.

Positraction is a type of limited slip and is a term that is used very loosely as another name or description for limited slip differentials. A positraction is not more aggressive than a limited slip or vice versa. The name "positraction" was used by General Motors for their limited slip differential and the name has been associated with limited slips for many years.

8. Justbrad

Okay... now that I Googled Limited slip I found exactly what I was looking for. I will be removing the limited slip differential... sideways at speed ain't a good thing.

Limited-slip differential - StandardShift.com

"1. What are the real-world benefits of a limited-slip differential?
    The biggest benefit is additional traction for acceleration, including getting un-stuck from a stop as well as accelerating faster.

2. Do those benefits include improved handling in snow?
    Not really. In fact, an open differential is less likely to come out from under you because when one tire spins and loses all its traction, the other tire does NOT spin and retains its lateral traction.

This is easily demonstrated with RWD pickup trucks at a red light; when it turns green and the drivers get on it too hard, the one with the open differential will sit there and spin a tire while the one with the limited slip will get sideways. When the same trucks are cruising uphill and hit an icy patch, again the open will fail to accelerate but stay straight while the limited slip will get sideways.

9. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

Since you are so fairly certain I guess you answered your own question, especially with that nearly 50 years of icy road experience you have. I guess the rest of the guys here who swear by a ls rear end, and the vehicle manufacturers who offer ls rear end upgrades for safer driving in hairy conditions could use a few lessons. No offense intended.

Looks like a Google search did you good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Justbrad

Just trying to figure it out... without dying :) And I sure didn't mean to insult the folk trying to help me out.

I don't know if it is better or a hazard. I do know it was a 2k upgrade I could be really stupid to take out! And I sure can wait until the snow flies to see how it handles.

Any opinions about the "expert" from my previous post? He seemed to know what he was talking about and stated the problem I foresee as real.