Positraction and Winter

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Justbrad, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

I am getting an education though. Apparently all Limited slips are not the same. But my clutch based one has its inherent problems going straight on ice and snow. That's what this guy said in his previous paragraph. I trusted you that people buy them for good reasons so I looked further... and you are right.

The gear-based LSDs such as the Truetracs, however, work great. No preload on the gears so they work like an open diff until a wheel is about to slip. Because of this they offer a lot more stability in snow. Like IslandTJ I've been running a dual front/rear Truetrac set up in my Jeep and it's performed great for 6 years.

2. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

After confirming you do in fact have a 4x4, the ls will do you good. It's damn near impossible to put a 4x4 sideways in the snow in NORMAL driving conditions. Sure, if you're crushing at 80 in the snow ls isnt going to help you, but neither is an open diff. Packed ice is different, open diff or ls, doesn't matter, it's all about the driving. Even 2 locked axles would go sideways, backwards, and upside down if you're cruising at freeway speeds. The ls will transfer torque to the wheel that has traction, and open diff will just sit and spin. That's why it's better in patchy ice and snowy conditions with a 4x4.

Ls is not as good in a rwd rig as it could go sideways easier than an open diff, BUT with an open diff you will lose traction easier and end up not going anywhere. So it's either you drive careful and slow and get where you need to be, or you just sit there with the wheels spinning. Traction tires and weight distribution are key in a rwd, it's all about the traction. The weight and drive of the front wheels in 4 wheel drive is what will stop you from going sideways.

I've owned nothing but 4wd trucks all of various size, both with open and ls diffs. Ls diff 4x4 > open diff 4x4 and it doesn't take 50 years to figure that out. In fact, the 4 wheel drive in my first truck (98 ranger) went bad, I was too young and stupid to fix it. I took it over the pass with an open diff and since it was so light in the rear it was absolutely useless in the snow. I ended up being forced into the median by a semi, bumped the guard rail and spun around and nailed the concrete divider, truck was totaled. Ls may have helped me gain traction and keep the truck moving forward, but I know for a fact that an open diff just had my tire spinning and put me in the barrier. The was all at a 30mph crawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Justbrad

It is all helping! It's when I'm in 2wd going up a 6 or 7% grade at 60 and the auto tranny drops down into drive that concerns me. It's much more abrupt than I am with a manual. The clutch style Lsd's seem to be known for going sideways up icy hills and that is how I remember them.

Apparently one's like the Trutrac are gear operated and don't have the same problems. And the fancier new LSD's use braking and torque adjustments to keep them going straight.

I got a few months before the snow flies and I can wait and just see how it does before changing it.

4. Bdons-SD

That's the point I'm trying to make. 60mph in icy conditions up a hill in 2wd is too fast for either rear end. You should ether be driving much slower in those conditions or have it shifted into 4wd at least.

If you're worried about slipping in the other conditions an ls is superior in 2wd.

5. Justbrad

I now know there are different types of ls's and the type I have is prone to going sideways in winter conditions. I can see no advantage in having it -- I've never not gone forward in my 4wd, except when I chained up and got back out --and disadvantages for keeping it.

It also seems I may need winter driving lessons... lol.

6. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I love my limited slip in my 4×4. I've never had it kick out unexpectedly either. Even going way too fast and forcing the tires to spin doesn't cause anything exciting to happen.

The stoplight scenario only mentions the first second, without limited slip you will be stuck there. With LS, the tire with traction will propel you forward. You will only get sideways if both tires are on ice and you don't let off the gas.

I say keep it and try it this winter. If you can't stand it, then sell it.

7. Justbrad

I hear ya on the no 4wd on the pickup Brendon! I had a 59 Apache Fleetside when I moved to Wyoming in '83' had nothing but 4x4's since winter of 84/85. Yes... I really do have a clue how to drive in winter conditions.

Gonna give that ls a good test next week. Got 5 cords of wood to cut and some of the trees are up a dang steep hill :) No kidding... so looking forward to taking my truck and doing with it one of the many things it was made to do!!! If you could ask my old Ranger what he did for me.

Lol... I'd had my brand new 90 Sandlewood brown Ranger xlt for one week... elk hunting season started and I sat on the bank of the Marsh creek fjord -- that really did eat a ¾ ton later that day -- and boldly stated: "is it a Ford or not" Always did treat that truck like it was a real one and it absolutely never disappointed... from new 360,000 faithful miles. And I put every one but 40 on it :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  8. Justbrad

In memory of... and all the memories men make in trucks... oops, women too. Can't let my Wyoming redneck show :)

Attached Files:

9. Bdons-SD

Rangers are stout trucks, old and new. I've had 3! Drive how you're comfortable with what you want, man! Just have to throw out the obligatory "4wd doesn't mean you can whip down the highway at 90mph, it's not a cure all to shatty driving conditions." For any punks that don't know any better who read this thread in the next 100 years ha ha. Just from my experience and having a vast assortment of 4x4s (my trucks and my wife's SUVs) it sounds like with what you're doing and the type of driving, LSD, or open diff, you'll be fine either way.

10. Justbrad

Yup... not worried with whatever choice I make. I am curious how much better 3 wheels with traction will be when I climb a 45% grass covered rise to get to wood next week. Gonna try without the front engaged at first. Bet I make it :)