radio install

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Pity7700, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

i grounded it and everything works but i guess i could try grounding to a better place. i will try that. i have like severe battery drain. i was just out messing with it and i started the truck, shut it off and hooked the radio back up and it drained it....i tried starting it and i had to jump it.

2. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

alright everything is grounded out. i have the acc wire from the truck unplugged and everything seems to be ok except for the fact that my wipers dont work now lol

3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

The key inserted/door open chime keeps sounding with the door shut and key-switch in the ACC position?

There is the possibility the vehicle to aftermarket radio wiring harness has a wire inserted into the wrong pin out.
    Check the vehicle's wire colors into the aftermarket radio wiring harness.

Vehicle wiring diagrams
    Aftermarket Radio Color Codes

Check the power wires since it is not a speaker problem.

2002 Ford F150 Truck Car Radio Wiring Diagram *aftermarket harness (Metra/Scosche)

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green/Pink *yellow from harness connector
    Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Black/Violet *red from harness connector
    Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Green * black " " "
    Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red * labeled dimmer or illumination
    Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
    Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Blue *blue
    Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A * blue/white amp turn on Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
    Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
    Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Blue *white
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Tan/Yellow *white/black
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Light Green *gray
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Orange *gray/black
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Light Green *green
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White *green/black
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Red *violet/purple
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Pink *violet/black purple/black

If those wires are pinned out correctly:

Try diode isolation of the battery constant (yellow) and switched power (red).

Cut the red wire and place a 1N4004/L diode inline with the white stripe on the diode towards the radio.

This should keep constant battery power from backfeeding into the ignition circuit which makes the vehicle's GEM/BCM from thinking the key is in the switch and the ignition is run/on posistion.

4. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

the door chime sounds with the door open and NO key in the ignition. i will look over the wires to see if something is wrong. i have a metra harness. youre saying that in their harness they could have a wire in the wrong spot?

5. Roush PSD Interceptor

Anything of several things is possible.
    Either that or the radio you have is allowing constant power to backfeed into the ignition circuit.
    Another possibility is the door/open closed switch is malfunctioning, you say there is a power drain, possible the dome light is staying on due to any of the above conditions?
    I have come across a Metra harness before that had the constant (yellow) and switched ignition (red) swapped.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Roush PSD Interceptor

So everything was ok until installation of the aftermarket radio and harness.

Process of elimination, radio is the problem, wiring harness is the problem, something changed in the vehicle's circuits during or shortly after the installation is the problem.
    Even if the red and yellow were swapped, the radio would just stay on all the time and not turn off with the key-switch, but may allow the back-feed situation.

7. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

alright heres how it goes. i installed a pioneer radio. followed diagram and instructions with metra harness. (got this radio for free, its old and doesnt have a usb port for mp3 players) christmas day the truck died, i thought i left the door open. jumped it. ran fine that whole day. the day after i tried to start had to jump start it again. battery was 3 years old and thinking i hadnt had a problem with my truck not starting before the cold weather i thought i would have the battery tested. i had oreillys do a load test on the battery (i did a quick charge on the battery, showing 12.24 volts. still plenty to start a vehicle) it failed their load test.

i found my recipt from the local for dealer where i got that battery from. i figured when i took the battery into the ford dealer to swap the batteries out they would try to do a test on the battery and they would ask me if i had tried charging it to make sure the battery was bad so i hooked the battery up to a charger for about 5 hours at a 12v/6amp charge rate.

Unhooked the battery that night (it was not in the truck) woke up next morning and battery had just barely 10V.

Got a new battery. went and bought a new sony radio for christmas and installed it using the same metra harness. battery was ok for a couple days till this morning, truck wouldnt start.

not sure if it matters but i normally drive my truck everyday to and from work. like i said i never had a problem with it not starting since i put the radio in. but now for the winter i am laid off. christmas day when i tried starting the truck it had sat in the drive way for about 3 days or so. it had been started but just moved around the driveway (5 miniutes running time max)

I just went and double checked all of the wires for both the factory harness and the metra harness and they match up. i also moved the ground wires to seperate grounds, i had them stacked. The charge on my battery is 12.4 according to my edge.

8. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

btw roush thanks for that bulldog website. i bought a remote starter for my gf which i want to install. been reading wiring diagrams over and over finding all my wires, had most of them but this site will help since they point out the exact wires.

BUT if i cant figure this radio out i probably shouldnt mess with a remote starter! lol

9. Roush PSD Interceptor

There is a RAP (Retained Accessory Power) function on newer vehicles. Accessory power remains in some circuits even after the key is turned off.
    My 2000 F250 has it and so does the Ranger and the Mazda Tribute.
    The RAP circuit goes off when the driver's door is opened, it may be that your RAP circuit is not turning off even after turning off the key-switch and opening the driver's door.

Electrical problems are difficult to diagnose as there are several different scenarios that can cause a multitude of problems.

So if the currently installed Sony radio is disconnected does the truck return to "normal" operation? key-switch chime/door open chime? if the radio is disconnected overnight will the truck start under it's own battery power?

10. Roush PSD Interceptor

No matter how many remote starters I've put on many different vehicles the first one of the day always took longer to do. Even installed 7 remote starters in one day on Cheby late 1990's Sahara vans and 1500's.
    Nothing to be apprehensive about, once you have accomplished it the next time it will be easier.

As a general rule it takes about 15 minutes of engine run time to recharge a battery from 1 starting cycle.