Rear bearing failure axle tore up

Discussion in 'F-250 and F-350 Wheels and Tires' started by dhide371, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Amazing it was still rolling, guess it was, mostly
    on the outer axle shaft bearing.

Having any luck smoothing out the seal surfce?

Galaxy S4 Cetane Powered Android

2. dhide371

dhide371 Junior Member

Smoothed it out did both sides all new seals brakes and bearings. Back rolling and no known leaks from the scored axle side. Fingers crossed. I ended up not using sealer on the new seal and axle as I figured that would be more a mess then it was worth. [​IMG] I hope never to do this again. However I have a high hum at load and crusing. Sounds like a rear end problem. Maybe carrier bearings. Who knows. It's rolling finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roush PSD Interceptor likes this.
  3. Roush PSD Interceptor

Good to hear your rolling again !

Galaxy S4 Cetane Powered Android

4. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Better get that hum figured out. Glad you're up and rolling

5. dhide371

dhide371 Junior Member

Back to the drawing board. Oil leaking and smoke coming from axle.

Upon inspection I see what I did wrong and it was a bad mistake! When putting the side that didn't fail, that had the nice clean unmarred axle, everything went together smoothly and the click to torque went on as instructed. The other side fought me the whole time but I did get it on after a while of cursing and smashing the hub seemed true and ready to roll. Which it did but not for long. Here's what I found.

Below is a happy axle. Both bearings out of the hub should slide right into the seated grooves you see. The larger bearing which is the bearing closest to the hub goes all the way to the back. And the smaller front bearing goes to the other small cut.

[​IMG]

Below is the bad side giving me trouble. After I took it all apart again I see neither bearing was all the way home due to the damage to the axle. Meaning the rear hub seal was never all the way home so that leaked as well and was almost apart from the hub when I took it apart.

[​IMG]

Ok so now here's the plan. I've gotten the bearings to sit true after little filling to the surfaces. But then felt the bottom of the hub sealing surface to only find the steel warn down enough that the seal will not seal. Even if it is all the way back to where it's supposed to be. If your still with me, I thought that was it and it's time for a new axle. And it still may be but after some research I came across this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...F8&qid=1470846472&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Basically it's a super thin metal sleeve that slides over the hub seal surface and creates a new one. I am going to use epoxy where metal was missing. And it's not enough for me to worry about losing a wheel just enough to keep oil seeping out. So instructions say get rid of all imperfections as they will print on this sleeve as it is very thin. Once I do that I will apply epoxy where there is material missing and while it's wet, seat the sleeve clean up the new seal surface and re assemble. Will have all parts by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed. Any other ideas besides a whole new axle assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Roush PSD Interceptor

Sounds like this seal shim was made for
    those who have been down the road you have been.

Once the imperfections and epoxy then seal shim,
    assembly will you want to leave it supported until
    morning to give the epoxy full hardening time
    without any weight
    On the bearings or would you
    want it to have full weight at the bottom since
    this will be it's operating position?

Once you click to torque on a smooth assembly
    Everything should be in position regardless of
    weight or bearing pre-load pressure.

I wish you best of mechanical
    luck and skill in this hopefully