Speaker help

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by TxFx04, May 24, 2011.

1. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

i have 2 kenwood 6" in the front with stock speakers in the back. all of a sudden i've been having a problem with the passenger front, it'll cut off and since it's once big circuit all the other speakers will cut off too and i'll only get music through the sub. i took the door panel off (while music was on) and i unscrewed one screw from the speaker and it sparked like it was a ground issue? (idk if speakers are self grounded or if they even have a ground) I swapped screws and it still sparked. i moved the speaker around and it would spark, then cut off then come back on when i move it some more. wtf is happening? i'll be driving and hit a bump and it'll all cut off then back on, it's really annoying and i need to figure out how to fix this, help?

2. BlackThundah

BlackThundah Aka LilWhiteFiddy

Thats weird, I didnt know speakers had a ground. Im sorrry I cant help, all I can think is just check the wiring, other than that i dont really know.

3. TxFx04

the wiring is fine it just sparks whenever i move it and if i tighten it all the way it won't work

4. Warspite

Warspite Member

Take the speaker out, and see of the "raw" wires are close to the speaker frame itself (these wires connect to the voice coil). That's rare, but I've seen it - since the frame is bolted to the chassis. Some head units ARE 'common ground' and one of the speaker terminals is grounded (in the harness or head unit self, like older GM units). Your head unit/amp WILL cut off, as it goes into protect mode when a short is detected, so that's a good thing.

5. jlyoung08

jlyoung08 gumby

dude you and passenger side speakers dont get along

6. supercrewzn

supercrewzn Full Access Member

For sure a wiring issue. Somewhere the speaker is being grounded from the wiring going to it. Speakers have a hot and ground going to them.

7. Warspite

Warspite Member

They're usually grounded within the head unit itself. This avoids ground loops and noise from ignition wires and anything else in the audio range (20-20KHz). That's why you home run speaker wires back to the head unit. Again, check the wire going to the speaker - if it's aftermarket, and of different clearance, could it be hitting some metal (ground) at the mounting point? Weird!!!

8. TxFx04

damn this thread is old. white truck is gone guys :jester: no more problems