Ticking noise from #4 Cylinder on 4.6L W?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 52 Ford, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM.

1. 52 Ford

52 Ford Junior Member

I'm getting a ticking noise from the valvetrain on the #4 (passenger side, rearmost) cylinder on my 4.6L. It's an ATK reman and I put it in about 20K miles ago. It's been doing it pretty much since I put the motor in, but has gotten worse. It would do it for maybe a second when I cold started it, but it was quiet enough that I assumed it was a noisy fuel injector (had old injectors in it when I first put the engine in - had to wait for new ones to get shipped). At this point, it'll do it for about a minute on a cold start, maybe less if it's hot out. I pulled the valve cover off and checked the torque on all of the fasteners and did a visual inspection at around 1,000 miles. All looked fine. Could it be a slightly warped rocker arm or maybe the valve lash adjuster isn't working right? Like oil isn't getting to the adjuster fast enough or it's getting stuck down. The motor runs fine, aside from that. For what it's worth, I broke it in on Valvoline Conventional 5W30, then at 5K, I switched to Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 Synthetic. Been running NAPA Gold 1372 filters the whole time. I cut open the first couple filters during break in and didn't see anything unusual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. 52 Ford

52 Ford Junior Member

No one? Been a week. I went to another forum and got a little farther. Might be a lash adjuster loosing it's prime. Thanks in advance for any input. I'm going to try to get around to messing with it this week. I reckon I'll update this when I figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk