tongue weight capacity

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by allen796, Jan 25, 2013.

1. allen796

allen796 Junior Member

I'm looking at purchasing a travel trailer with a shipping weight of @5800# and questioning any concern on hitch (tongue) weight? Is there a listed maximum capacity for tongue weight on my vehicle?

My vehicle is a 2010 F150 XLT with towing package. 4.6l 3V engine, 3.31 rear end. What concerns should I have?

Ernest

2. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    it should be listed directly on your hitch what its limits are. I'm assuming you have atleast a C3, but maybe a C4 hitch. That will make the difference in what your tongue weight can be. I would crawl under and take a look, should be a tag on the hitch. the 5800# might be just a bit too much w/ the C3, but should be alright w/ the C4, and should be fine in either case if you use a Weight Distribution system as well, since they essentially double your capacity.

also, make sure that you stay w/in your trucks GVCW when accounting for a full tank of gas, trailer, bed full of cargo, and all your passengers.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

With the 4.6 V8 and 3.31 gears you're only limited to towing 8000lbs. Tongue weight should be around 10-15% of total weight.

http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf