Tow hook mod?

Discussion in 'Street Scene' started by 97madness, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 97madness

97madness Full Access Member

I dunno about you guys with lowered trucks, but the thought of needing the truck towed is always on my mind when i do new mods (moar low, the front valance, etc). ANd i remember seeing on some "track" cars, or stanced cars they have a screw in tow hook in the front bumper (see below)

[​IMG]

Now, im not saying have this "tow hook" hangin out threw a hole in my bumper, valance or anything. But maybe make a mount thats attached to the frame, with the location being behind the billet grille in the lower valance on each side so there's two hook points. But have the hooks stored in the console or glove box, incase on that rare chance of needing a tow. I could screw them in while i wait, and when they get there they hook, and do what they gotta do.

Maybe i'm just crazy, and have a hint of ocd, but i wouldnt want my valacne gettin scratched/cracked up by some fool of a tow truck driver. :shrug:

Link to said "hooks":

RED T2 TOYOTA LEXUS SCION TRD RACING SCREW ALUMINUM CNC TOW TOWING HOOK JDM RACE | eBay
    Front/Rear Tow Hook Aluminum Anodized CNC BMW Black | eBay

2. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

not a bad idea.. I wouldn't get those from the links though they specify no weight limit.

3. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

Not a bad idea. My buddies dad has a couple year old Toyota and it has those. You pop a cap off the bumper and the hook screws in

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

4. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

My jetta has that front and rear, there are some pretty snazzy tow hook mods I've seen for the .

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

5. 97madness

Yea, they have a flat style one too, but dont think its meant to be removable. Only reason this came to mind was talkin with dad about goin lower, and he brought up the towing issue i could run into.

6. 01f1502wd

01f1502wd going up? yes i am.

my dads mini has em like ^^.

Id recomend getting some GM tow hooks:

[​IMG]

as you can see theyre bolted from the inside of the frame rail and not the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ur lowered truck is 2wd so you may or may not have holes in on the frame to bolt em on so ud need to drill em. I did and moved them a little bit more fowards than what the 4x4s came with. I recomend going this route so then you know theyre solid. also you could use ur 2wd valance and cut a little slit in it for the tow hook, or if you dont want it to show mount them farther back and put on a shackle that can be added or removed, however youd need to remove the valance....OR get a 4x4 valance and cut little slit to extend the tow hook slot up so you can have the hook sticking our an inch or two, then put some lo profile lights in there so it doesnt look like theyre open holes where hook are supose to be...

just some ideas for ya

7. 97madness

Yea, not doing the traditional tow hooks for a truck. I just want an option if i have to be towed for some reason, i can have them hook to those instead of tearing up my valance. Tow hooks like i've posted would alow them to get it up on the bed to secure it down properly.

8. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

I like the idea of being able to quick release them when you aren't using them

9. 97madness

^^ exactly. keeps it clean, yet functional when you need them.

10. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    ever thought about putting a front hitch on your lowered truck? they sit behind the bumper and you never see them until you put something in the 2" block. you could then have the ability to put a full drop hitch/hook/whatever when getting towed. i have been on the fence for getting one for my truck, for that specific reason of getting towed from the front (would have been nice at our meet lol).