Tranny flush. What's needed?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by backwoodscountryman, Apr 4, 2011.

1. backwoodscountryman

backwoodscountryman Broken Truck Edition

As so as some of you may know.I will be dropping my tranny pan and draining it.I will also be flushing my tranny thru my tranny cooler lines myself.If i leave something out on what i need to do it.Please tell me what i forgot.Also any advice would be great.I will be doing this come Wed-Friday.Thanks guys

Tools
    carb cleaner(to clean out the pan itself"
    Shop towels
    Tranny pan gasket
    Scraper
    Tranny filter that comes with new gasket
    Drain pan
    Piece of hose(To drain from the tranny cooler line into bucket)
    Bucket
    ATF fluid
    Lucas ATF conditioner(heard it's a good idea to add this to any ATF fluid)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  2. The Batman

The Batman Rest In Piece

a few extra hose clamps.....

3. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

let us know how it goes

4. backwoodscountryman

Will do.

Hose clamps.Why those batman?

5. kattumaram

kattumaram Member

An Exercise in Futility:

:hmm:I would recommend against flushing the tranny unless the fluid is really dark and dirty; even then you could be getting into trouble.
    Drain the pan, clean the pan magnet, drain the torque converter, and, if you must, drain the oil coolers.

6. BigBill

BigBill Junior Member

I agree ! I've been a mechanic for 18 years and every trans that gets flushed usually burns up within 3 or 4 months,if you are not using the flush machine it may be o.k....only because the machine recycles the old fluid and reuses it and the machine pulls the detergent out of the fluid.Also if it's a high mileage trans I would recommend synthetic,only because it's known to run a little cooler as far as trans temp goes.when you drop the pan expect some dark silver material to be in the bottom of the pan and on the magnet...Don't be alarmed unless you see chunks...this is normal.

7. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

great avatar bill

8. backwoodscountryman

Actually i would be doing it myself.First i drop the pan.Then unhook my tranny cooler line and attach a hose and drain it into a bucket.Then start pouring new tranny fluid into the resivior untill new liquid comes thru the hose thats attached.

Or could i still do dammage doing it the trany cooler way?

9. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    I think you are supposed to do this w/ the trans pan on. If you start your truck w/ the pan off, that is where all the fluid will then escape as it gets flushed through your transmission cycle.

You must do this as 2 seperate jobs, or 1 job w/ 2 phases. Phase 1 is the pan/filter replacement. After the pan is back on, then move onto unhook tranny cooler and starting engine to flush. its best to have 2 people here, one to watch the color of the fluid coming out, and one pouring fresh new fluid in.

In regards to people saying don't flush... :flipthebird: My truck has 110k on it, and I have flushed the transmission 3x, going to be 4 this weekend. I have a tune on the truck, shift points firmed up, and never have had a problem before/after flushing, in any case.

10. supercrewzn

supercrewzn Full Access Member

They make something to flush the tranny cooler. It's called trans cooler line flush. it attaches to one line and the dirty fluid comes out the other. It's about 10 bux a can.