Turbo is acting up a bit..

Discussion in 'V10 and Diesel Engine Performance' started by Bdons-SD, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD Anti spark plug!

So my turbo seems to be acting up lately. It's building boost and everything alright, but at lower gears and higher Rpms during quicker accelerations it builds it's boost up to about 20 psi, then drops to about 16-17 and makes a noise that sounds a lot like an exhaust break. Then it shifts and builds back up to 20. It usually does this between 20 and 40mph. It doesn't sound like surging, I YouTube'd turbo surge And the sounds is nothing alike. When I have a slower acceleration from about 50-70 mph it builds up to 20 psi and holds fine. I have a video on my iPhone I can post when i get to my laptop. But maybe someone has an idea just from my description. Any help is appreciated.

My wallet doesn't really want to buy a gtp38r, but if I have to I suppose i have to Ba ha! :jester:

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

2. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

I'm not a turbo guru, but it sounds like your wastegate is leaking.

3. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    x2 sounds like your wastegate spring is weak and cant hold the blow-off its supposed too.

err i mean, scrap your turbo and get the GARRETT!!! :insane:

4. Bdons-SD

Ba ha! I'd love to get the gtp38r. But the stock is still a Garrett. Maybe I should do the waste gate, and a larger shroud with a banks or a wicked wheel. I'm not building a rocket truck or a sled/tractor puller. Just something to hold my hot tunes.

The gtp38r is 1700 plus install, so probably 2 grand from my guy. I have the cash, but it's meant for a few other things ha ha. If I found a used one online I'd jump on it right away ha ha. If anyone sees one on a forum let me know!

5. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    a quick look on ebay shows that gtp38r for $1500 OBO on many sellers. I bet you could swing it for $1350 and be lookin at $1500 for the install. Then you could use the other $500 on a brand new TIAL wastegate :drool:

6. Bdons-SD

I haven't shopped around for price yet, just rough ballparks. Anything lower than that I'm ok with ha ha. Trucks in right now getting looked at, I'll know more this afternoon.

7. Bdons-SD

Air filter! Air filter was clogged, poor truck! Should have been the first thing i checked! Chalk that up to over thinking ha ha.

Recommendation is to get a stage 2 intake for it.

Basically when the boost would build to about 15 16 ish the filter would collapse in on itself, thats where the noise was coming from. So an easy fix! But no new turbo:(

8. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Well that was better than a couple hundy fix.

9. Bdons-SD

Still cost me 150 bucks... They put it on the dyno and everything to diagnose it, also had them diagnose a couple other minor issues I've been having. It's better than 1500 to buy a new turbo though, truck drives like its happy again ha ha.
    It honestly never crossed my mind an air filter could cause that.

10. cowboy

cowboy Sheriff

:facepalm: aren't you suppose to clean them regularly? Like the same time you do your air intake?