Upgraded calipers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by thump, Dec 9, 2010.

1. thump

thump Member

Anyone know of, or have experience with upgrading their F-150 calipers? It's time to change out my front brakes and with 37's and a lot of mountain driving a little extra stoppy power would be nice.

2. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    There arent any caliper upgrades that involve just swappin out to a 3 or 4 piston setup. I have checked Brembo and many others. You would have to do a complete big break upgrade to achieve better stopping power. And actually w/ runnin 37's you should. When you go that much difference over stock, you put your break system at a mechanical disadvantage over your tire/wheel combo.

Here is the best kit I have found. Just scroll down till you see our year.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/big_truck_brakes.html

Here's a list of coupon's for that site too.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/coupons.html

3. thump

thump Member

Thanks, Vano. I'll checked that site but only saw an option for 2wd models. When the big tires went on I upgraded to slotted rotors and Hawk pads, but as you said, that doesn't take the place of having proper sized calipers.

To be fair, the stock calipers have done a fine job so far but typically if I tow I'm using my own trailer which has brakes.. I've never really put it to the test with a full non-brake-assisted load going down the mountain but given the piston cracks I had when I last changed out the rears I'm not eager to push it.

4. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

Brother, if you have cracks, its time to change. that crack can turn into a break, and then the piston gets jammed. not good. I too noticed it was for only 2wd, but I'm sure someone makes a big break kit for 4wd since they are more prone to needing one. Ever thought about using the Saleen S331 setup? they have 15" rotors i believe and if its good for 450hp/500ftlbs it should be good towing in the mountains. Can always get a jake break installed and that would help ease the workload on the breaks.

I've got hawks & slotted/drilled on my truck too. I will say this when towing w/out break trailer, after a few stop and goes on the freeway, the front loses its 'bite' until its cooled off again. That was w/ my 72 C-10 in tow over a 50mi highway move.

5. thump

thump Member

oh yeah.. I found the cracks when changing the rear pads so I changed out the rear calipers with OEM remans. I'm half expecting to find similar cracks when I go to change out the front pads so I figure why order new pads and rotors now and then get stuck ordering replacement calipers as an afterthought when I can just upgrade the whole package from the start.

Anyone seen these before? It looks like the first kit would allow a caliper & pad upgrade without needing to change out rotors again:
    http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/detail/index.cfm?nPID=8698
    http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/detail/index.cfm?nPID=8625

Not fuggin cheap though..

6. rrogers

rrogers Supporting Member

damn that would be an expensive brake job

7. thump

thump Member

8. thump

thump Member

9. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

If you read in the listing of the A193's, it says "*NOTE: Must be used with stock size rotors." Most will state the size for bragging rights the larger size. I had forgotten about these; I had seem them a few year ago but started w/ height rather than safety. The Brembo's would be badass, who wouldnt want 6 piston calipers?? But for a 3 piston setup at over 1/4 the cost of the 6 piston, you'd be a fool not to do the SSBC's over the brembo's.

10. thump

thump Member

yeah.. I just need to see how worn my current rotors are and then make cost/value decisions. It would be nice to hear from any current F150 SSBC owners on if they made a difference.

I'll post up pics if I get something cool.