what is included with tow package

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by inrichment, Apr 13, 2013.

1. inrichment

inrichment Junior Member

Well my buddy has gone and made me very jealous ...he went and got a used 12' super crew with the 5.0...happy for him really:sad72:

Item 1; But the thing is, apparently it was a rental truck and "they" (the rental company), placed a speed limiter on, or set it very low...80mph:thumbsdown:

can this be adjusted back near the century mark?

Item 2; The dealership that he bought it from claimed it to have tow package...they claim (the rental company) orders them without the receiver hitch and trailer plug in, ( to limit abuse I suppose). If this does have tow package...would there not have a trans cooler in front of the radiator?? Looks like there should be something there cause there is some empty plastic clips that appears to be about the right size for a smaller cooler, off on the drivers side of the radiator. Or is that for something else? His trans temp does take awhile to get to temp, 15 miles or better. He intends to pull a large camper, so he is concerned that,(A) that he got lied too & (B) potentially harm his new toy.

I'm suspicious that the dealership just told him what he wanted to hear & that it does not have tow package.

has anyone else heard of rental company's custom ordering trucks this way?

2. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

Wow...you'd get your ass ran over around here with a truck that can only do 80 on the interstate! There's no way in hell I would have bought something like that.

I'm sure a programmer can adjust the speed limiter, but I've never heard of anything like that before. If there's a transmission cooler on the truck it shouldn't be too hard to spot. Sounds like your friend my have been lied too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

3. AKBray907

AKBray907 SUPER *********.

It's probably the ford my key setup. Just reset it, I remember when my dad first got his truck an we were playing around an accidental set the my key to limit speed 60 mph and set an alarm every time you hit 45mph. We didnt think otd work but it did haha. Yea we just put that key in a drawer for a while until we figured out how to reset it haha

4. inrichment

inrichment Junior Member

he has no programmer...but in the manual he ran across some info...but hadn't gotten time to really deal with it. SO far he dealing with it...road construction season has started which is a large part of his daily commute.

as for the tranny cooler...it seems to be integrated into the radiator....but with tow package wouldn't that be a separate unit?

thanks, I'll pass that along....it may be the vary thing the owners manual was mentioning....He said it was chimming and displaying a message one day when he wasn't paying attention....too quiet , didn't realize what was going on at first...one of those "Oh Crap, NOW what?" moments

5. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

He can have a tow hitch without a trans cooler.
    Talk to Mike at 5 Star and he'll get you a tuner that will reset the speedo

sent from my igloo

6. inrichment

inrichment Junior Member

well that is just it...it didn't even have a hitch on it...the dealer had to add it as part /condition of sale. SOooo it is back to if any of you good folks had heard of "rental companies" ordering trucks this way?:facepalm:

Yeah...5star for sure could do it.
    Still has factory warrenty left...so it prolly get corrected the next time it gets oil changed.

7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

If there's no hitch, then there's no towing package. He got screwed on that.
    Is there Just a ball hitch on the bumper?

sent from my igloo

8. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

yes it is not uncommon for rental car companies to order them this way. I used to run a hertz branch and we never had one with a tow package. it keeps people from towing with them and to save the as* of the rental car companies

9. inrichment

inrichment Junior Member

Ok...but did hertz still claim tow package...even though it didn't have a hitch??

Or put another way...ordered a hitchless tow package? for lack better description

10. iowaredneck

iowaredneck Administrator

Not that i know of

sent from area 51