What to do to a 4.6?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Justbrad, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

Howdy,

I've recently become a very proud owner of a 2002 F-150 extended cab with the 4.6. I purchased it with every intent on overhauling most everything with the goal of a my perfect pickup truck. Yes, the 10th gen F-150 was my only choice :)

It has 150k on it and does burn about a half quart per thousand miles. So, an overhaul is being planned. And... hehe... why make it stock?

I have an absolutely excellent "old school" mechanic that says 300 horses minimum. Do you agree? And, what's the best way to get there? I'm really thinking 250 would be great for my needs -- no heavy trailering -- and wonder what the most cost effective way to get there is.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated... the good ones... greatly!

Thanks kindly, Brad

2. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Unless you plan on running boost, you won't see over 300 to the wheels on a 4.6 or even a 5.4.

By the way it sounds, you want to rebuild it. How in depth will this be? Pulling the heads or pulling the engine? Have you ever done this before or know what is involved?

I just got done assembling a 5.4 dohc from a navigator and it is very time consuming and expensive. How much money are you planning to spend on this?

3. Justbrad

Thanks Thomas!

Given I have absolutely no need for 300 horses let me change the question: I need to overhaul my 4.6 and would love to get at least 10 to 25 more ponies. Any ideas as to the best way to accomplish this?

I'll simply be paying -- 5k budget with no wife to negate over runs :) -- a very good mechanic to do this. He is, however, horsepower obsessed :) I'm just looking for reasonable options to discuss with him.

4. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Ok so you are paying the mechanic to do the work?

I'd start by pulling the heads, get a valve job, resurface them, throw a set of cams in there, replace all timing components (chains, guides, tensioners) new gaskets everywhere. Seal it up good.

Next, open up the exhaust. Run a better than stock muffler with some duals or a larger single. Let it breath.

Lastly, buy an edge programmer or an SCT programmer and run a 91 tune.

You should definitely be under 5k with that, but maybe close considering you won't be doing the work yourself. Any questions?

5. Justbrad

Yes, I will be paying a mechanic.

And man... I'd say you nailed it. I just want to improve the 4.6 to a reasonable degree. I am planning the overhaul after the 1st of the year but after Googling what the heck an Edge programmer was... I'm thinking I should just get that now. Do you agree it's a worthwhile thing to buy? Do they really work? The SCT says it increases horsepower and torque... Edge's sight was a bit vague on what they accomplish. Do they really improve HP, torque AND gas mileage?

And does putting a new dual exhaust mess with computer if oxygen sensors aren't part of it? Or do they need to be there? I'm in Wyoming... no emission laws here.

6. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Just don't mess with the cats. Anything after the cats will just help it breath and let it sound like a truck. Computer won't do anything.

A lot of people have very good luck with the edge programmer. My friend had it on his 5.4 and it made a world of a difference on a 93 tune. You've only got 150k miles so things should still be in pretty good shape. Don't expect a huge increase in torque, hp, and has mileage. They market those things as "improving" even if it's just .5mpg. They DO make the truck run better though.

7. Justbrad

After reading the hype of the chips... gotta say, I fell for it and ordered a Superchip Flashpaq tuner. It made sense to me -- given a few issues I have with the 4.6. Mainly it sounds like it's not running quite right. If I were setting a chainsaw I'd still be turning screws... lol. I'll have the chip by Friday and will let you know if it clears my 4.6's throat.

I'll probably stop by a muffler shop tomorrow and get a quote too. Breathing and sounding better has gotta be worth the money spent.

I really do appreciate the input and advise.

8. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Hope that one works out for you. I know it's a little cheaper than the edge but sometimes it's worth spending the extra money when it comes to things like this.

If it's not running like it should, maybe take it to your mechanic and have him look at it. Having a solid engine is gonna run better than one with flaws and a tuner on top of it.

9. Justbrad

I trusted a few reviews and if I made a mistake... well I've sure made bigger ones. It's running 'good' I just think it can run better. Sincerely feel it's all the emission stuff that simply inhibits a nice V-8 from running to it's potential.

I'll let you know if I blew my money or if the tuner does what they claim. Okay, not what they claim... just improved performance will make it worthwhile.

10. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Cams and headers will get you an easy 20hp. Do a good intake, exhaust, and tune: should get close to 50 more.