What to do to a 4.6?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Justbrad, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Justbrad

Justbrad Full Access Member

As of yesterday I am actually blown away at how much better it runs! I have replaced the plugs, oxygen sensors, shocks, and brakes. All bulbs have been replaced, salvage yard instrument cluster and new light switch.

Scheduled to have the transmission serviced, wheel bearings packed, all fittings greased and U joints checked. Am I missing anything?

2. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

Sounds good to me!

3. Justbrad

YES! I've never had an engine running so strong! The Magnaflow exhaust/K&N intake/Superchip combination brought that little 4.6 to life! I'll be going on a road trip over the Big Horn mountains tomorrow... with a very big smile on my face as I listen to that nice growl up the mountain.

4. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Got any pictures of the truck and the updates?

We all love pichures!!

5. Justbrad

This is My F-150 sitting on top of Beartooth pass... a seriously scenic drive that peaks at 10,967 (or close). Tomorrow i'll be cruising another set of mountains with everything for performance installed. Anybody got any guesses as to how much hp and torque I might have gained w/aforementioned parts? All the hype said I could expect 40 more hp with the three... I feel I got at least that.

Attached Files:

6. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Looks like a clean and solid truck. I like it.

I couldn't tell ya how much you gained, but I'd say at least 15-20. Cams usually net about 20 and you did the other best 3 mods.

Unless you run boost, don't expect to see a lot more unless you throw cams at it. Throttle body spacers, injectors, "performance coils", and all that other junk is just a waste of money.

I've been browsing the forums long enough to see what people do that does and doesn't work. So far you're on the right track. Keep it up!

7. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

I'd say 20hp would be a good guess. Cool thing about motors is the total horsepower of all the parts is greater than each one individually. Like, 5+7+12 =30 instead of 24

8. Justbrad

With the new intake and exhaust and a chip in-between... it don't matter how much more because it now gets to use the 195 + what they added. And it now runs with a good sized pair of brass ones.

Nothing but joy as I cruised over the big horns and listened to that awesome growl! The purr down the highway at 65 is nice too! And got a solid 17+ mpgs to boot with a few "oh I just gotta hear it roar"! I now have enough power... the cams will just be a bit too much, which is a good thing!

Dyna-matting the doors and rear seat free wall. And then... just for the fun of the cruise I'll be heading over Teton pass... just to see and hear how My F-150 does.

You got it Thomas, clean and solid... understatedly awesome!!!

9. Justbrad

So... before when I said it just wasn't running right: it was more it sure wasn't running like it could. Now it is! You shoulda heard that V-8 growl as I held my speed up that 7% mountain pass yesterday.. and I just smiled knowing I still had the roar of 2nd gear if I needed it. It did before the last series of upgrades. It was like a lady that recorded in my studio... beautiful voice, hit the notes but was a smoker... lol... just didn't sound as good as it could.

No doubt AK... the sum is greater than the parts when they all make everything work correctly together. And having that K&N inhale all the air that V-8 needed as we climbed up that pass had my 150 singing with the bass rumble of a baritone and every pony under the hood had all they needed to run as much as they wanted.

In real life driving I now have all I need to pass anyone that needs quick passing. Had an SUV behind a huge RV and not much time to get around them... hehehe... didn't need it. Got from 60 to 80 with a simple pedal to the metal... and that is so cool!

Yup... it's all about the sound of power for the joy of the ride :)

Today I'm making it ride a bit quieter with Dynamat on the doors and complete the back wall too. As I stuck the first few pieces on I recognized this expensive stuff for something I've worked with. I'll let you know when I compare them side by side but I'm betting it is nothing more than Grace Shield. It's a roofing product that you can get, by my math, for about ¼ the price. A 100 sq ft roll is about a hundred bucks. And I bet it works exactly the same. Only real question I have about it is the backing on the Grace Shield... but you could walk on it so it should roll on just fine.

Yup... making it "My" F-150 is a ton-o-fun!

10. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

I'm with ya on the "has to be something cheaper than Dynamat"
    I couldn't believe the retail prices people were paying for me to roll this tar and aluminum onto their vehicle's interior.
    Stuff I found comes in rolls 6 inch wide 10ft long at the building supply stores roof repair section.