whats a good single din radio?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by 01f1502wd, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 4ctNduction

4ctNduction Truck of the Century

2. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

Kenwood

/Thread.

3. AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER Got Snow?

I like my kenwood as well. Had a jvc but it kept scratching cds.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

4. Darth Bama

Darth Bama Administator Staff Member

Kenwoods are shat, /discussion :jester:

No but seriously, I've owned two Kenwoods, and both of them were junk IMO. Maybe they've changed, but back in the day I didn't car for them. I've owned Blaupunkt, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine and Clarion. The only stereo I've NEVER owned is a JVC.

1. Pioneer
    2. Alpine
    3. Clarion
    4. Kenwood
    5. Sony
    6. Blaupunkt

That's my order, take it or leave it. I'm not just shouting out Pioneer because it happens to be the unit I have. I actually have a Sony in my truck right now. I prefer Pioneer because they deliver the best and the most features for the price. Their overall design setup in general is just better laid out then the others.

My main beef with Alpine are those dated looking buttons they insist on still using. Their head units have a tendency to look like something from the 90's once they're a few years old. Other then that, Alpine is a fine ass head unit.

Clarion's are great too, I just don't care for the way they look. The one I had was good, and it had several cool features for it's time, but it was never the stereo that I replaced, which was a Pioneer.

The 2 Kenwoods I had were both medium level units. Neither were entry level. So before anyone tries the ole, "you get what you pay for" that wasn't the case. I paid almost $400 for one of the two. The other was roughly a $275 unit. So neither one of them were cheap, and they are still the MOST expensive units I've ever bought to this day. The $400 one replaced the $275 one. They were both slow, loud and just clunky feeling. The remotes never acted right, the lighting on them also looked cheap. Even on the $400 unit. Like I say, MAYBE they've changed, but from my personal past experience with them, I DO NOT care for Kenwood. Oh yeah, I even have a Kenwood Surround Receiver I paid damn almost $600 for that the buttons freaking feel off of and ended up having to be replaced. That's 2 for 2 on Kenwood having to replace a receiver for me, one auto receiver, one home receiver. :Grenade: But as I always say, to each their own... :ROFLJest:

The current Sony I have is okay, but I don't care for the loudness of it, and the slowness. It's very similar to the Kenwood when it comes to the slowness. I only paid $140 for it, so I can't complain too much.

Blaupunkt, I won't even get into that story... :facepalm:

My next head unit will be this

LINK:Pioneer DEH-80PRS CD receiver at Crutchfield.com $349

[​IMG]

Jarrett, you ask, I told ya. :jester: I also didn't suggest Panasonic, PIONEER.

5. Darth Bama

And oh yeah...

/Discussion

6. TxFx04

TxFx04 FFS Frequent Traveler

:hmm: well i have an entry level kenwood. paid $130 retail. nothings malfunctioned. it is quiet :think: unless its cause im running stock speakers without an amp. I always thought a radio was a radio and the quality of the sound came from better speakers and whether or not its hooked up to an amp or not :shrug: then again im no audio expert.

7. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

Like I side, pioneer and alpine!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

8. Darth Bama

The head unit counts when it comes to sound too. Like I say, maybe they've changed recently, but I wasn't impressed. So much that I don't think I'd ever consider buying another piece of Kenwood equipment ever again. And for the record, when I say loud I mean the actual mechanics of it. IMO that sounds junky when you can hear the mechanics moving around over a moving car, let alone one sitting still.

I will say this, I had a Kenwood tape deck way back in the day that was awesome. :birgits_tiredcoffee :jester:

9. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Take a look at this one Jarrett.

I have the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD.

[​IMG]

Reason I bought this model is it has USB in front, mini jack, IP-BUS
    input in the back for direct connection to my XM sat receiver,
    this connection eliminates a FM modulator and it's annoying
    background hiss.
    The mini jack is AUX 1 plug in.
    HD radio shows song' artist and title broadcast by local FM HD stations.
    Shows song artist and title on USB storage device.

DEH-P7200HD - CD Receiver with HD Radio, Full Motion OEL Display and USB Direct Control of iPod | Pioneer Electronics USA

10. Darth Bama

VERY nice :birgits_tiredcoffee :waytogo:

:word: