Which tuner would you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by LightDuty, Jan 5, 2011.

1. LightDuty

LightDuty Full Access Member

With all the talk going on about tuners, I think I'm going to get one. The problem is I don't really know anything about them, so I'm curious what is a good tuner for a decent price? Eventually I'm going to lift my truck and have 35s on it, and I have 3:55 limited slip. I dont know if all tuners come with settings already programmed, but I'd prefer one that does. Please give me any info I need and should know about. I have a 2001 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4L with 132xxx miles.

2. Thumper4x4

Thumper4x4 Full Access Member

In going with a gryphon CS (edge evolution with custom tunes by php)

3. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

You can get custom tunes if you have anything done, or want to get mods done later like gotts, efans, duals, underdrive pulleys, or anything else. You can get canned tunes that just basically deals with if you have just one mod like the gotts mod/CAI. I think I would have been alright if I just went with canned tunes, but I like to mod and later on I plan adding more stuff. You can run canned tunes on alot of add-ons, but you can get more out of those mods with a custom tune. Troyer or 5startuning for custom Xcal or Livewire. PHP (Power Hungry Performance) for Gryphon CS or CTS tuning.DO NOT BUY FROM VMP.

4. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

someone correct me if Im wrong

5. backwoodscountryman

backwoodscountryman Broken Truck Edition

Why not buy from VMP?I heard good things about them.Whats up?

6. TFIDDLE

TFIDDLE VEEEE TEn

read my VMP thread below this one

7. LightDuty

The only kind of mod i have right now would be exhaust, which I have some shorty headers, and my muffler cut off. single pipe. in the spring I plan to run duals, not sure if I'm going to use mufflers or just straight pipe. So if I bought an Edge programmer, I would need to send it into a company and they'll know how to tune it? or can I buy it from a company and have them tune it from the start? Once again, sorry for being a noob lol but I have no idea about this stuff

8. backwoodscountryman

backwoodscountryman Broken Truck Edition

Well the Edge would have to be sent in.What sucks about the Edge Evo is that the custom tunes cannot be programed to your tuner via computer.Well the Edge Evo cant(i don't know about the new Edge's)So yes has to be sent it.I didn't know this prior to my buying the unit.If i would have known,i wouldn't have bot it and bot one that can be costumed tuned via computer. But for your set up now,all you need is stock tunes and you will be fine and see a nice difference from stock to a tuned truck.

9. LightDuty

alright, so if i bought one now while my truck is stock, and in the future I lift it and have 35s, what will it cost to send it in to get tuned?? Just want to see how much money i'm looking at

10. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    you wont need a tune for just a lift and tires. the tires can be adjusted w/out needing custom tuning. the lift has no bearing on your performance, just like stickers on the back window don't. I personally wouldnt go w/ a PHP Gryphon... Not that they are a bad company... nothing but good things have I heard. I just prefer to have my truck tuned via a dyno. SCT offers great tuners. I had an Edge Evo first, and it worked great until I started heavy modding (handled my exhaust fine, but didnt like my CAI nor my Gibson headers). The SCT SF3 comes w/ 3 canned tunes (better than the Edge's canned tunes), has the ability to store up to 3 custom tunes, and can be used on 5 different vehicles. Thats right, 5 different vehicles on 1 tuner. The Edge's lock in the truck helix to the unit after 5 key turns. The SCT stores the helix but doesnt lock it, allowing 4 additional vehicles to be tuned. Hell, you can tune a few friends vehicles and earn your money back that you spent on it.