Wrecked the mustang...

Discussion in 'Mustangs and Fast Fords' started by MyFX4Project, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

So last night my little brother wrecked his mustang. This is a 1997 3.8l v6 5 speed. I dont know the whole story but he claims it was the "slick roads" even though I drove it 45 miles round trip to work when the roads were worse and had no issues. Keep in mind, he hasnt even been 16 for a month and wrecked it.

What do you guys think, totaled? Or repairable? I dont think theres anything wrong mechanically I think its all body/support brackets and such in the front of the car. Im not a car guy so idk much about these things.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Attached Files:

2. Auburnfan400

Auburnfan400 Longbed done right!

At my house that's nowhere near totaled...we still got deep freezers and old workout equipment to trade for mechanic work lol...but I dunno man. People total cars after fender benders now. But it's not terrible, biggest thing is the damage you can't see. If there's frame damage or just cosmetic

Sent from my DROIDX

3. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

insurance company might total the car but you will be able to buy the car back for cheap.

the car is repairable. looks like it needs a new hood, drivers side fender, bumper grill and lights.

looking at maybe $1000 for parts? and then youll have to get it painted and all that good stuff.

total price might be like $3000-4000 to have it fixed, the reason the insurance company would total it is because the amount it would take to fix it might exceed or come close to what the car is worth.

4. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Doesnt have full coverage on it and thats what I was thinkin. About 2000-3000 but my parents dont know about since they left town today so we'll see what happens when they get back lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3

5. Pity7700

Pity7700 oh umm...uhh?

if it doesnt have full coverage than insurance wont do a thing about it. the repairs are covered by the owner.

little pricey repair for that old of a car but it can be done.

6. Roush PSD Interceptor

Roush PSD Interceptor 7.3L Straight Piped Diesel

Looks like the header panel may be broken.
    Dis-assembly of the headlights/parking lenses,
    and front fascia to see what is damaged beneath.

Maybe ya can find a similar year/model with a wrecked
    rear end as a parts car for cheap. Depends where ya find parts,
    it may be cheaper to get a salvage vehicle than purchase the individual
    parts needed to repair that one.

7. VanoFord

VanoFord Banned

In my own imaginary world, where. Respect for wome
    bumper appears to be shifted towards the passenger side. you may have frame damage, just the tips. it could also just be the brackets/mounts are shifted. best thing to do, especially since the parents don't know, is to tear is all down, and have a better understanding of what exactly is wrong. if i was a parent out of town and came home to a wrecked childs' car, i'd be a bit less mad if they had already determined what was the problem/resolution.

it looks like your bro's tires are a bit worn for drivin on winter roads. i bet he did hit a patch and went sliding.

8. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Hmm... yeah it might be a good idea to just start disassembling it and determine the problem before the parents get home.. I think we can probably manage to take those parts off and determine what body parts we will need.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

9. ak_cowboy

ak_cowboy Penguin Hunter

If he's 16 then it's a good time to start learning how to repair dumbazz mistakes... Have him help pay for it and do the majority of the work. He'll be a little more careful when there's blood and sweat in it.

That's a good first car, V6 doesn't let you get into the trouble a V8 stang would.

10. MyFX4Project

MyFX4Project TRUCKIT

Yup thats why we got it for him. One of his heater hoses ripped and it started over heating and he had no idea what the temp gauge meant when it was on red :facepalm:

Ive got to teach him some things still lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3