76F150 Tailgate latch handle has wear and won`t open

Robert Parzych

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Posts
8
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Location
Lilburn, GA
I removed the 3 bolts on the release lever and got the latches released with visegrips on the rods. Now, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this back together? Thanks, Robert Parzych
 
It has been 20 years since I did the latch on my '74 and it still functions well today.
Greasing and oiling the latch handle mechanism as well as the strikers keeps it functioning
without binding.
It was easier those many years ago to buy the yellow clips in a dual pack.
Plus I worked as assistant manager at a well known auto parts chain store (discount).
 
I took out the latch and found washers and cotter pins on the handle end of the rods. Ordered and received a new Dorman replacement handle from Rock Auto. It was half the price of the same part from Auto Zone. I went there to get the new yellow plastic clip. Going to remove the rest of the parts from the tailgate now to clean and grease them. Someone had been in there before and I got this 76 F150 longbed in 1980. Someone had added an aluminum shim on the part that changes the motion from up to sideways. My tailgate always was hard to open because of all the play in the linkages. I am working on it now.
 
@Robert Parzych

Ford hasn't changed their design for many years and this video will work.
I would lube the bolts going into the side latches as well for rust prevention.
Spend the money for those yellow clips.

I took out the latch and found washers and cotter pins on the handle end of the rods. Ordered and received a new Dorman replacement handle from Rock Auto. It was half the price of the same part from Auto Zone. I went there to get the new yellow plastic clip. Going to remove the rest of the parts from the tailgate now to clean and grease them. Someone had been in there before and I got this 76 F150 longbed in 1980. Someone had added an aluminum shim on the part that changes the motion from up to sideways. My tailgate always was hard to open because of all the play in the linkages. I am working on it now.
I took out the latch and found washers and cotter pins on the handle end of the rods. Ordered and received a new Dorman replacement handle from Rock Auto. It was half the price of the same part from Auto Zone. I went there to get the new yellow plastic clip. Going to remove the rest of the parts from the tailgate now to clean and grease them. Someone had been in there before and I got this 76 F150 longbed in 1980. Someone had added an aluminum shim on the part that changes the motion from up to sideways. My tailgate always was hard to open because of all the play in the linkages. I am working on it now.
I took out the latch and found washers and cotter pins on the handle end of the rods. Ordered and received a new Dorman replacement handle from Rock Auto. It was half the price of the same part from Auto Zone. I went there to get the new yellow plastic clip. Going to remove the rest of the parts from the tailgate now to clean and grease them. Someone had been in there before and I got this 76 F150 longbed in 1980. Someone had added an aluminum shim on the part that changes the motion from up to sideways. My tailgate always was hard to open because of all the play in the linkages. I am working on it now.
This is a most excellent video on how to go about it. I worked as a mechanic for 40 years starting out in a VW shop in 1970 and ending as a Ryder mechanic on tractor trailers. It is always nice to look on Utube or forums to see how others take care of the same problems. Thanks!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
12,235
Posts
415,574
Members
3,000
Latest member
prawnsxare
Back
Top